What is data warehouse?
Data warehouse is used to store data. It is a central storage area in which data that is taken out from different sources is stored. The data warehouse is used for reporting from different sources and also for data analysis.
It can be used for making development reports for senior management reporting such as quarterly and annual comparison.
The purpose of the warehouse is to make flexible access of data to the user. It generally refers to the grouping of many various databases across an entire activity. It also store present as well as historical data, so all the related data may be used for examination. This examination helps to find the data and also show relationships among the data, to extract meaning from the data.
What is database?
Database is a place in which any data is stored. It is a well organized data collection. It is a central storage area of data in which the data from different sources is stored. It also called enterprise data warehouse. It is the basis or any data storage. It is a well organized data collection. The various source data are collected into a single place and this place is called database. In it the data is organized into a structure of some sort, especially according to a database model.
Difference between a database VS data warehouse
The main difference between a database and a data warehouse is that, the database is used to store data from different sources while a data warehouse is mostly used to make well organized reporting and analysis of data.
There are some differences between a database and a data warehouse that are discussed below;
• A database is mostly used for Online Transactional Processing but can be also used for other different purposes such as Data Warehousing.
• A data warehouse is specially used for Online Analytical Processing. This reads the past data for the Users for dealing decisions.
• In a database the data are in complex form since they are normalized for RDMS. This decreases the redundant data and saves storage space.
• In the data warehouse, the data are simple so they are easily de-normalized. This is done to reduce the response time for systematic queries.
• Relational modeling techniques are mostly used for RDMS database design, whereas modeling techniques are used for the Data Warehouse design.
• A database is correct for write operation, while a data warehouse is correct for reading operations.
• In the database, the performance is small for analysis queries, although in a data warehouse, there is soaring performance for analytical queries.
• A data warehouse is a prepare for database. It includes a database in its formation.